Monday, March 26, 2007

old friends (like bookends)


And I'm on my way/ I don't know where I'm going/ I'm on my way/ I'm taking my time/
But I don't know where/ Goodbye to Rosie the queen of Corona/ See you, me and Julio/
Down by the schoolyard/ These are the days of miracle and wonder/ This is the long
distance call/ The way the camera follows us in slo-mo/ The way we look to us all, oh
yeah/ The way we look to a distant constellation/ That's dying in a corner of the sky/
These are the days of miracle and wonder/ And don't cry baby, don't cry, don't cry,
don't cry/ Well, the sun gets bloody/ And the sun goes down/ Ever since the watermelon/
And the lights come up/ On the black pit town/ Somebody says what's a better thing to
do/Well, it's not just me/ And it's not just you/ This is all around the world/ I get
the news I need on the weather report/ Oh, I can gather all the news I need on the
weather report/ Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile Da-n-do-da-n-do-da-n-da-da
and here I am/ The only living boy in New York/ Half of the time we're gone but we
don't know where/ And we don't know where/ "Kathy," I said as we boarded a Greyhound
in Pittsburgh "Michigan seems like a dream to me now"/ It took me four days to
hitchhike from Saginaw/ I've come to look for America/ Celia, you're breaking my
heart/ You're shaking my confidence daily/ Oh Cecilia, I'm down on my knees/ I'm
begging you please, to come home/ Come on home/ A winter's day/ In a deep and dark
December/ I am alone/ Gazing from my window/ To the streets below/ On a freshly
fallen silent shroud of snow/ I am a rock/ I am an island/ Can you imagine us/ Years
from today Sharing a park bench quietly?/ How terribly strange/ To be seventy/ Slow
down, you move too fast/ You got to make the morning last/ Just kicking down the
cobblestones/ Looking for fun and feeling groovy/ Ba da da da da da da, feeling
groovy/ Hello lamppost, what'cha knowing/ I've come to watch your flowers growin'/
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?/ Doo-it in doo doo, feeling groovy/ Ba da da da
da da da, feeling groovy/ I got no deeds to do/ No promises to keep/ I'm dappled and
drowsy and ready to sleep/ Let the morning time drop all its petals on me/
Life I love you, all is groovy


(just because i love you)

No comments: